Plums are not only different ripening terms, but also colors. Blue plums - not uncommon, they are grown everywhere in different regions. But in order to grow not only beautiful, but also a fruitful tree that can take root in a certain climate, you need to choose the right variety. The best grades of blue plums with the description are presented in this article.
Features blue plums
Plum is a very tasty fruit. It is usually eaten fresh, but can also be used to make desserts, pastries, prunes, and preserve for the winter. In folk medicine, not only plum fruits are used to heal the body or treat diseases, but also leaves, bark, flowers of the tree.
Plum is a very tasty fruit
This fruit has an abundance of positive qualities. It is useful for anemia, heart disease, metabolic disorders, low hemoglobin, atherosclerosis. Often it is prescribed to improve the immune system, remove toxins from the body and improve gastric motility. Regular consumption of plums in small quantities strengthens the nervous system. It is also useful for children, pregnant women, of course, if there are no contraindications.Interesting! The most important property of plums - to stimulate the gastrointestinal tract and cleanse the body.
Plums can hardly be called a harmful product, but in some cases it can still harm. For example, it can not be used for individual intolerance, bloating, gout, diarrhea, rheumatism. Sweet varieties are prohibited with diabetes, and acidic - with gastritis with high acidity or ulcer.
There are a lot of varieties of blue plums. Some grow well in the Moscow region, others can produce large yields in the Siberian zone, and, of course, most species can be grown in the southern regions, with a warm climate.
The best varieties of blue plumRead also these articles.
- Variety of cucumbers Gunnar F1
- Potatoes variety Adretta
- White radish
- Potato variety Zapot
To the category of the best blue plums are those species that have good yield and excellent taste. Description of the best varieties of blue plum is given below.
The best high-yielding varieties of blue plum
- "Haganta" - Germanic species ripening towards the end of September. It grows up to 4 meters, the crown does not take up much space. Fruits are sugar, fragrant, 50-80 g. Each. The rind is rich blue, not soft, which allows you to transport the crop over long distances. Drupe leaves without problems. The variety is half self-fertile, frost-resistant, fruitful, with early fruiting. It has good immunity, but is often affected by sharka.
- "Souvenir of the East" grows like a middle tree with a rich crown. Fruits are large, up to 40 g, rich blue color. The flesh is yellowish, sugar, a little crunches. During the season up to 40 kg of fruits are removed from the tree.
- "Oh yeah" - an early, skoroplodny type of plum, the first fruits are observed for 4 year. Plums of 30-45 g. The rind is dense, blue, with bloom. The flesh is yellow, not soft. The taste is sweet and sour, pleasant. The grade differs in productivity.
- "Hermann" - a variety of early ripening, brings harvest to the beginning of July. The tree is average, with a beautiful, rounded crown. Fruits are blue, ovate, 45 g each. The flesh is juicy, very tasty, dense. Delivers severe frosts.
- "Giant" - An interesting type of plum with large fruits, whose weight can reach up to 100 g. The rind is dark blue with a light patina. Plums are transportable, have a presentation. Ripening occurs by mid-September or a little later. The variety is skoroplodny, winter-hardy, resistant to fungal diseases.
Self-produced varieties of blue plums
If the site is small, planting several trees of the same type is impractical, so gardeners often wonder which varieties are self-bearing plums. Blue plum varieties, like any other, rarely differ in this quality, and yet there are some species that can bear fruit even without pollinators.
Self-produced varieties of blue plums
- "Helena" - German, self-fruited plum type. The fruits ripen by the last days of September. They weigh 60 g maximum, almost round, saturated blue with visible bloom. The flesh is honey, hard, with a strong, pleasant smell. The harvest is suitable for long shipments. There is immunity to fungal diseases.
- "Blue bird" - mid-season variety. Can be grown in the suburbs. The tree is tall with a spherical, massive crown. Cream with bright blue skin, grows up to 45 g, oval, can be transported over different distances. The peel is covered with bloom. The flesh is almost orange, very pleasant, juicy, with a high percentage of sugar in the composition. Drupe leaves without problems. The grade is recommended for the fresh use, processing. Often it is grown for sale. The main qualities include self-fertility and yield. It has a strong immunity.
- "Egg blue" has an early gestation period. Tree up to 6 meters, crown of medium thickness, wide. The first fruits are observed by year 5. They grow to 35 grams, like an egg, which is clear from the name. The color of the peel is rich blue with a purple tint, the patina is white. The flesh is soft, yellowish, with an abundance of juice, sugar and a small proportion of acid. Drupe without problems moving away from the pulp. Frost resistance within -35 degrees. The benefits also include self-fertility. The yield of an adult tree is about 10-12 kg / season.
- "Prunes" - self-fertile, winter-hardy type of plum, derived for processing into prunes. Ripening is more late. The tree grows tall, but the crown is thickened. The fruits are almost round or slightly elongated, weighing 40-60 g. The rind is blue-violet, dense. The flesh is yellow, sweet. Productivity is big.
- "Calypso" - Polish, self-made plum. Crop harvested in late July. Cream oval, wide. The peel is deep blue, almost black with a thick patina. Mass - 30-45 g. The flesh is sunny, fragrant, with a bright, sweet taste. There is resistance to cold, sharqa, rot.
Cold resistant varieties of blue plumsWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Sweet Cherry Jam
- How to grow leek
- Watermelon variety Sugar Kid
- TGB Incubator
Cold resistant varieties of blue plums
In some regions characterized by cold winters, only frost-resistant trees can be grown. What blue plums have high frost resistance is described below.Important! In the refrigerator, frozen, plums can be stored from 8 months to a year.
- "Chemal Blue" plum grows medium height tree with an elongated, sweeping crown. Cream small, on 17 grams. Skin color blue with a red tint and thick bloom. The flesh is light yellow, juicy, sweet and sour. In the skin area can be tart. Stone without any problem moves away from the peel. The variety is frost-resistant, tasty, resistant to some diseases.
- "Blue Gift" - Mid-season plum, ripening by mid-August. Fruits are blue with a purple tinge, weighing 15 g each. The taste is excellent, sweet. The variety is productive, frost-resistant, rarely sick.
- "Anniversary" - Swedish plum, yielding fruit by mid-August. The first harvest is observed from 3 years after planting. Fruits 50-70 g, blue, with a touch. The taste is sweet and sour. The grade is frost-resistant, fruitful, differs in strong immunity.
- "Steppe blue" - It is a frost-resistant species that can be grown even in Siberia. The tree is average in height, with abundant crown, pagons which are sloping to the ground, which greatly simplifies the collection of fruits. Cream grows at 25 g on average. The skin color is blue, the shape is almost round. The flesh is yellow, sweet, very juicy.
Blue plums for processing
To freeze and in general any treatment, plums are taken, in which the drupe easily moves away from the fruit. In addition, they should have a bright taste that does not deteriorate after heat treatment. A description of these species with blue fruits is given below.
Blue plums for processing
- "Stuttgart" - German plum, matures by mid-September. Cream 50-80 g, rich blue color with a touch of fairly solid, which allows you to carry them at any distance. The flesh is yellow, sweet and sour, with a bright aroma. The taste is excellent, after processing does not deteriorate. Drupey is large, but leaves without problems. The variety is frost-resistant, has strong immunity.
- "Rival" - type of plum, intended for the preparation of dried fruits. Ripens to the beginning of autumn. The tree is small, with a compact, low crown. Fruits in 4-5 years after planting. Cream 40-50 g, ovate-elongated, dark blue with a thick patina. The flesh is yellow-green, dense, sweet-sour. Drupe leaves without problems. Plum is not afraid of frost, transportable.
- "Zarechnaya early" matures by midsummer. The tree bears fruit annually, from 3-4 years after planting. Fruits are blue, with a thin touch. The flesh is sunny, acidic. Stone moves away without problems. Productivity for a season to 15 kg.
- "Record" - the fruitful kind giving the first crop for 3-4 year. Plums of 35 g or more, saturated blue, may have a red tint, with a thick patina. The flesh is light yellow, sweet, with an almond smell. Drupe leaves without problems. To the positive qualities also include frost resistance.
It is difficult to determine which plum variety is the most profitable, because there are too many of them and each gardener has his own personal preferences on this matter. Choosing a variety for cultivation in your area should take into account the sweetness of the fruit, especially the growth of the culture, its care, as well as the color of the fruit. Blue plum - one of the most sought after and common species. And although it may be similar in appearance, the tastes and characteristics of different varieties are very different, so you need to carefully choose a new inhabitant of the garden, weighing all the pros and cons.