Homemade ketchup is a tasty addition to any dish. Many season them with pasta, porridge, meat and other dishes. It is not very difficult, and there are a lot of cooking variations. But in order to get really high-quality tomato ketchup, you should make an effort, then it will not only be tasty, but also be able to be stored for a long time at home.
How to make ketchup at home?
How to make ketchup at home
Ketchup from tomatoes at home is not obtained at all. The fact is that even though the process seems simple, even small mistakes can spoil the taste of the final dish. The following are general guidelines, adhering to which you can make delicious, homemade ketchup.
- Peel with tomatoes and additional ingredients, such as Bulgarian pepper, it is recommended to remove. If this is not done, the ketchup will not be so uniform, as gentle as in the store. The skins will come across in a dish, and this is unpleasant for many, so it is better to sacrifice time and remove the peel than to regret it in the winter.
- You can not rush to the preparation of ketchup. It must slowly boil over a small fire, otherwise it will quickly burn, and the taste will be unpleasant.
- Any spices that are put in ketchup in the form of peas, leaves, sticks, it is recommended to simply wrap in cheesecloth and put in a saucepan, tying one edge to the handle. After ketchup cooking, they are taken out and thrown away. Thus, the flavor, taste, they will give the dish, but the sauce will not fall.
- Any seasoning put to taste. If, for example, fennel and cumin are listed in the recipe, but you personally and the household do not like them, you can replace them with other spices. There are no unbreakable rules!
Simple Recipe for Tomato KetchupRead also these articles.
- Rodrigo potato variety
- Top dressing of seedlings tomato
- Flower Cineraria
- The best raspberry varieties for central Russia
Photo of a simple tomato ketchup
To make a good ketchup for the winter at home it is not necessary to add unusual ingredients or carry out a lot of procedures during cooking. Even a simple, at first glance, recipe can please the household with excellent taste. The recipe suggested below is a confirmation, it is made easily, but the taste is very tender.
Ingredients (for 10 cans of 0.5 l):
- Tomatoes - 7 kg;
- Onions - 350 g;
- Sugar - 200 g;
- Salt - 65 g;
- Chilli powder - 3 g;
- Ground black pepper - 3 g;
- Cinnamon - 3 years
- Tomatoes are well washed out under running water, especially in the tail area. Then they must be dried so that there is no excess water.
- Onions are peeled, washed and cut into small cubes.
- Pure tomatoes cut into slices and mix with onions, black pepper, chili and cinnamon. If desired, you can adjust the number of seasonings. To get a more burning ketchup, add more chili. And so that it becomes more aromatic, you can add more cinnamon and even cloves!
- A mixture of vegetables and spices should be placed on the stove and boiled until the onions are soft.
- When it is softened, the tomatoes are also soft and well separated from the skin, the mixture is ground through a sieve.
- The result is ketchup, but close it early. So that the sauce does not explode during storage, it is put on the stove and boiled for 10 minutes.
- Ready ketchup must be tried, and if everything is fine, pour it into washed, dry cans.
- The last thing to do is to sterilize the ketchup jars under the lids and cork them after this procedure.
Ketchup from tomatoes is kept in a cool place, like a pantry or cellar. If you leave the cans for a long time in the room, in the light, the contents may deteriorate.
Spicy tomato ketchup for the winter
Photo of hot ketchup from tomatoes for the winter
For fans of spicy food, it is suggested to try making spicy ketchup of tomatoes at home.
- Tomatoes - 500 g;
- Bulgarian pepper - 750 g;
- Onion - 500 g;
- Garlic - ½ large heads;
- Chilli - 125 g;
- Black pepper - 4-5 pieces.
- Sugar - 125 g;
- Salt - 1 tsp;
- Vegetable oil - 100 ml;
- Vinegar (9%) - ½ cup.
- Tomatoes must be washed, doused with boiling water, cut and passed through a sieve to get rid of the skin and get a monotonous mass. The second option is to peel the skin and just skip them through a meat grinder or chop them with a blender.
- Bulgarian pepper, onion, garlic, chili pepper is also cleaned, washed and twisted in a meat grinder. And to get rid of the skins of Bulgarian pepper, it is also necessary to scald with boiling water, but this is not necessary.
- Milled vegetables are mixed in a common cauldron for cooking ketchup. They are brought to a boil and cook for 30 minutes. After that, black peppercorns wrapped in cheesecloth and dipped in a cauldron with ketchup. The sharpness of it turns into a liquid, and gauze with peas can then be removed.
- Salt, sugar, oil, and vinegar are also added to the ketchup container. Mass boil on the stove, constantly stirring, so as not to stick to the bottom. As you boil, the ketchup will become thicker.
- When the ketchup boiled down and became the desired consistency, it is poured into the banks and sealed. Banks in advance for this sterilized, and the lid is boiled in boiling water.
After cooling, the ketchup is transferred to the pantry and stored as needed.
The recipe for homemade ketchup in a slow cookerWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Application of copper sulfate
- The best varieties of tomatoes for the Moscow region
- Apricot Shalah
- The best winter varieties of cabbage
Photos of homemade ketchup in a slow cooker
Preparing ketchup for the winter is a long process that takes time. But using a slow cooker you can ease the work and get a no less tasty product for the winter.
- Tomatoes - 2.5 kg;
- Onions - 1 pc .;
- Nutmeg - ½ tsp;
- Ground black pepper - 1 tsp;
- Laurel - 1 leaf;
- Sugar - 3 tbsp. l;
- Mustard - 1.5 tbsp. l;
- Salt - 1 tbsp. l;
- Vinegar - 40 ml.
- Tomatoes are washed and minced to juice. In the resulting mass should not be skins or seeds.
- The juice is placed in the multicooker bowl and put on the "Steam, Soup, Pasta" mode for 1 hour. The essence of the process is to boil tomatoes. Each multicooker has its own characteristics. Some for this process choose the mode "Frying", others - "Quenching". In any case, whatever mode is chosen, the mass should be boiled down, so you should not close the lid.
- While tomatoes are boiled, onions are peeled and minced with a blender or meat grinder. When tomatoes are 2 times smaller, onions, mustard, sugar, salt, pepper, laurel, nutmeg are added to them. Again, a program for cooking or stewing is selected, so that the ketchup will acquire the consistency of the sauce and boil a little. It can be interfered with or not, as the bowls in multicookers, as a rule, with non-stick coating.
- At the very end of cooking, vinegar is added, and ketchup is boiled for another 5 minutes.
- Ready ketchup turns out just yum fingers. It is necessary to try and add the need for spices.
- The cans for canning are sterilized, the lids are boiled. It remains only to pour the ketchup into the banks and close them, and then turn over and cover the blanket for a day.
Tomato and apple ketchup
Photo of ketchup of tomatoes and apples
Tomato ketchup with apples for the winter has an unusual taste. It is a little sweet, sourish, and if you add spices, it is also spicy at the same time. It is pleasant to many, but it will take a lot of time to cook it properly.
- Tomatoes - 5 kg;
- Apples - 1.5 kg;
- Carrots - 900 g;
- Sweet pepper - 200 g;
- Hot chili pepper - 2 pods;
- Garlic - 180 g;
- Parsley, cilantro, thyme - to taste;
- Sugar - 180 g;
- Vegetable oil - 180 g;
- Carnation - 5 pcs .;
- Ground black pepper - 1 tbsp. l .;
- Vinegar - 2 tbsp. l .;
- Salt - to taste.
- Vegetables and apples are peeled. It is necessary to clean not only the peel, but also the seeds in the case of sweet pepper, apples. Then you need to twist in a meat grinder carrots, tomatoes, sweet peppers, apples, to get a homogeneous mass.
- Vegetable mass boils on fire for about 2 hours to boil a little. Cook only on low heat, stirring from time to time so as not to bother.
- Garlic and chili are crushed with a knife or in a combine, and then poured to the vegetable mass on the stove. Greens (chopped), black pepper, cloves (crushed), vegetable oil, salt and sugar are also added here.
- When the ketchup of tomatoes is cooked for another 30 minutes, vinegar is poured into it.
- All that remains is to try the dish, pack it in sterilized jars, cork with boiled lids.
To preserve well preserved, after seaming, turn it upside down and wrap a blanket. So it should stand for a day, and only then the banks are transferred to the cellar for storage. Ketchup from tomatoes and apples is suitable for many dishes. It has a perfectly balanced taste, and a delicate aroma.