For a long time banks sterilized by steam. It was a long time, caused a lot of inconvenience and a steam curtain in the kitchen. Today there is a simpler and more effective method. Empty cans or already with blanks, modern hostesses are sterilized in gas and electric ovens. How to properly sterilize the cans in the oven will be described in this article.
Benefits of Dry Sterilization
Sterilization of cans for a couple gives a good result. However, it is not always practical. When it is necessary to make a lot of conservation, it is difficult to sterilize one jar in a boiling kettle or in pots, and the multicookers are not so large that they can hold 7-15 containers at once. The necessity and difficulties of the steam method helped the hostesses to discover for themselves all the delights of dry sterilization in the oven.
- Efficiency. When sterilizing the cans in the oven, all the bacteria that can harm preservation die. So the oven copes with its main task.
- Dryness - cans after processing are always dry, no need to wait until they dry out. It is safe to take them with a cloth - they will not slip out of the hands, as often happens with steam treatment.
Important! In hot jars, you can put only hot blanks. If the blank is cold, then put it in a cold jar!
- Banks when heated in the oven are very rarely beaten, if you do everything right, and if initially they were whole.
- Dry processing cans is a very simple and safe method. It is rather difficult to get burns in this case, because there is no steam, as well as hot dishes for sterilization - this is no more dangerous than getting ready-made cake out of the oven.
- Sterilization of cans in the oven allows you to avoid stuffiness in the room, as is the case with steam treatment.
Rules for sterilizing cans in the ovenRead also these articles.
- Title - Flower Gardenia
- Variety of tomato Nobleman
- Sweet Cherry Variety Astakhova
- Growing watermelons in the greenhouse
How to sterilize cans in the oven
In different cases, banks can be sterilized with or without blanks. But for the procedure to be safe, you need to adhere to certain rules.
- Empty cans are sterilized immediately before laying the blanks. To do this a few days or a few hours before it is inappropriate. Indeed, even in a short time, harmful microbes can enter the bank.
- The oven is cleaned before use. If it is dirty, then the banks will absorb different odors. But you just need to clean the oven with water, you can use vinegar (it quickly disappears). It is better to refuse powder or liquid chemical preparations in this case!
- Banks in the oven are placed in a free order - they should not touch, because if one jar cracks, standing close to it can also become unusable.
Important! If a three-liter jar does not become a small oven, you can lay it on its side. For capacity it is completely safe.
- With a sharp change in temperature banks usually burst. So they are always placed in a cold oven, not warmed up, and after the sterilization is complete, let the tanks cool down a little before removing.
- After laying the cans in the oven should set the timer. If it is not in the oven, then you can put it on the phone, watch. This is done so that sterilization lasts only a certain time. If banks can overdo it, they can burst, and if they are not maintained, not all bacteria will be destroyed.
- To avoid burns, you should use oven gloves to remove the jars from the oven.
- It is advisable to avoid getting cold water on sterilized, dry jars, because they may burst.
- Take hot jars neatly, with two hands. If you take the neck with one hand, you can bring inside the bacteria from which the banks are sterilized!
Sterilization of cans in an electric oven
In order for the sterilization process to cause problems, you must first carefully examine the cans, check their condition, if there are any chips or cracks - are they suitable for canning. All bad containers are discarded prior to sterilization so that they do not take up space in the oven.
Interesting! Together with the banks can be sterilized in the oven and the lid (this applies only to iron lids without gum). They are just thoroughly washed out and then laid out next to the containers on a baking sheet or wire rack. Covers with elastic boil for 5 to 15 minutes.
Photo of sterilization cans in an electric oven
It is believed that in an electric oven the temperature is distributed more evenly, so it is in it that it is easiest to sterilize. This process takes place in several stages.
- Banks are washed and dried. It is also advisable to wash the oven so that it does not have negative odors.
- Tanks are placed on the baking sheet or rack in free order. They should not touch! If they are dry, then put them bottom to the top, and if wet, then neck up.
- The prepared baking sheet or lattice is placed in a cold oven and only after that you can start heating it. A temperature of 150 degrees is considered optimal for this procedure.
- After the sterilization time is over, you must turn off the oven (if it does not turn off by timer) and remove the jars after 5-10 minutes - they should cool down a little before that.
Sterilization of gas cans in the ovenWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Goats breed Lamancha
- Planting grapes in autumn
- Drip irrigation Beetle
- When to plant cucumbers for seedlings in 2019
Photo sterilization cans in a gas oven
If there is no electric oven, it is possible to successfully sterilize in the gas oven. It is not difficult and not less effective. The initial procedures are no different - you need to wash the jars, lids, put them on a baking sheet or rack and set in a cold oven.
- Heat the oven on low heat so that the banks do not burst.
- To sterilize cans in a gas oven, a temperature of 180 degrees is needed.
- After the sterilization is complete, the furnace is turned off, but the banks are left there for another 5-10 minutes so that the temperature drops slightly. And only then you can carefully remove the container and identify them on a clean towel.
Sterilization time in the oven
The time of sterilization of a can depends on its displacement.
Depending on what size the containers are placed in the oven, the time of sterilization may also differ.
|Canister volume (liters)||Time (minutes)|
Important! In the gas and electric oven the jars are sterilized at the same time. Differences concern only the volume of cans.
In order not to miss the time when the banks need to be removed, it is better to start the alarm clock or timer. Some ovens are equipped with a timer - they turn off when the set time ends. If there is no such function on the oven, you need to set an alarm clock or timer on the phone, so as not to overdo the dishes.
Sterilization of cans with blanks
Photo sterilization cans in the oven with blanks
In some recipes it is indicated that sterilization should be carried out already with the blanks. This is done to preserve a lot longer. Sterilization of cans with blanks in the oven can also be carried out.
- For a start, the banks are well washed, dried and filled with blanks.
- After the whole batch of preservation is ready, it is necessary to cover the blanks with lids (but not completely close) and place on the baking sheet.
- Put the pan with the jars in a cold oven!
- The temperature in the oven gradually rises to 100 degrees and only then the countdown of the timer begins.
- The processing time is usually indicated in the recipe.
Important! If jars with blanks roll up the lids before sterilization, they will blow up in the oven due to a significant increase in temperature!
- After the time is over, you must turn off the oven and wait about 5 minutes for the oven to cool slightly.
- Now you can remove the jars filled with blanks and roll them up.
All work on sterilization is carried out using tacks, because the jars, the oven and the blanks themselves are very hot after sterilization.
Sterilization of cans in the oven is a simple and effective method to extend the shelf life of home preservation. The method is simple and saves time, which is important in the case when there is not enough time, and there is a lot of products for processing. The main thing is to follow the rules and do the work without haste.