Some breeds of quails still have the instinct of egg hatching, but unfortunately there are very few of them. In other cases it is necessary to use the incubator for breeding birds. Using an incubator simplifies things, because you can lay a lot of eggs in it, and the percentage of hatchability is usually satisfactory, but for everything to work out you need to do everything right. Incubation of quail eggs will be described in detail below in the article.
How to get fertilized eggs?
Incubation of quail eggs is possible only under the condition of fertilization of quail eggs. But how to get such eggs?
- It is impossible to separate and reduce males and females at a certain time. They must always be in one box or cage.
- In the pen for 1 male should be 3-4 females. If there are more females, fertility will decrease, and if there are more males, they will consume too much feed, and business will become unprofitable for the breeder.
In the pen for 1 males should be 3-4 females
- High-quality feeding increases the fertility rate of eggs. This should include the type of basic food (its nutritional composition) and additional vitamins, minerals that are bought in the store and simply mixed in food.
- Mineral-vitamin complexes are fed to both females and males equally.
- Eggs are harvested from females from 2 to 10 months. Further fertilization decreases.
How to check and store eggs?Read also these articles.
- What are the vitamins in cabbage
- The best varieties of repair raspberries
- Feed Yeast
- Onion sets - varieties, planting and care
Even if birds eat well, incubation of quail eggs at home can be unsuccessful if it is not correct to choose the material for the bookmark. The following are the criteria for selecting the incubation material.
- Integrity is the first and most important point. If the egg has cracks, chips, or the shell is too fragile, the egg is not suitable for the procedure.
- Weight must vary in average values - 10-14 g. Different breeds will have this value different. Small eggs should be discarded, as very weak, painful quails are derived from them. And very large ones can have 2 yolks inside, therefore they are also rejected.
- The form must be correct without any defects, irregularities.
- Shell color should be typical of the breed. If the color is wrong, this indicates a lack of mineral or other substances.
If the egg has cracks, chips, or the shells are too fragile, the egg is not suitable for the procedure.
After selection of quail eggs, a thorough check, make translucence. Translating allows you to check the status of the yolk, mini-cracks, the size of the airspace, and then you can send them to storage if the incubator is not yet ready or the previous batch of quails is displayed there. Do not wash eggs before putting it in storage. This will wash away the natural protective sheath from them, and they will become vulnerable to diseases.
Eggs for incubating quail eggs can be stored for up to 10 days - this is the maximum period how much a germ in an egg can survive without an incubator. The egg can be stored at a temperature of + 18 ... +20 degrees Celsius. The first 5-7 days, the percentage of hatchability will be 85-90%, and on days 8-10 no more than 70%.
Laying eggs in an incubator
In order to incubate quail eggs at home was successful, you should take care of the purity and quality of the incubator. Before laying it is completely washed and disinfected. To do this, you can use any tool that is harmless to eggs, for example: "Ecocide", "Brovadez-plus". In addition, ideally it is also worth processing the machine with an ultraviolet lamp for 5 minutes from a distance of 35-40 cm.
Before laying the eggs are completely washed and disinfected.
After that, you need to pour water into the incubator, set the desired temperature, warm it for 2 hours. This allows not only to heat the incubator, but also to check its operation, if the device is new and has never been tested. Now you can lay the eggs in the tray, adjust the modes of the incubator and turn it on.
Temperatures for incubationWe recommend reading our other articles.
- The best varieties of radish for the greenhouse
- Grape variety Augustine
- How to store onions in the winter
- Cultivar Alligator
Incubation of quail eggs requires accuracy and certain rules. Modes of operation of the incubator can and even need to be adjusted to ensure 95-100% hatchability of quails. Eggs are in the incubator for 16-18 days, depending on the breed and temperature fluctuations. Below is a table of the norms of temperature, humidity, airing and coups that are necessary for all this time for the eggs.
The table of temperature conditions of the quail eggs incubator:
|Day||Temperature, ° С.||Humidity,%||Coup, times / day||Ventilation|
|1-2||37,7||60-70||1-3 or 0||Not|
As seen in the first two days, temperature and humidity have certain norms. Coups are not obligatory, but they happen, they do it so that the eggs better get warm from all sides. Airing in the following days is carried out by opening the incubator or a special door in it for a couple of minutes.
From the 16th day on, some of the quails will hatch, but not all. Those that did not have time to hatch, give another 17 and 18 days. All not hatched eggs for 19 days can be thrown out. After the birth of chickens, they can not be immediately moved to the brooder. They have to dry a little in the incubator, let them just lie there or walk around - it will not harm them. But then, when the fluff on their bodies dries out, you can move them to a previously disinfected and heated brooder to 32-35 degrees Celsius.
At first glance, incubating quail eggs at home may seem like a rather complicated process, but in reality this is not the case. After the first experience it becomes clear what is what, and the process is simplified, with time comes the necessary experience. For those who first encounter this procedure, below are recommendations and tips.
Incubator for removing quails is desirable to select an adjustable
- It is advisable to select an incubator for removing quails to be adjustable, so that the right temperature and humidity can be set.
- It is better to double-check the eggs a couple of times, so as not to be surprised at the low hatchability.
- The correctness of the operation of the incubator is worth checking from time to time, since many devices, especially cheap ones, can fail in the first place in the temperature mode.
- Eggs should be purchased either on special farms with appropriate certificates and good reputation, or taken from their own quails.
- The older the eggs for incubation, the lower the percentage of their hatchability.