The growth period of the duckling is very responsible for the breeder. Proper feeding of ducklings at home is imperative that they quickly gain weight, activate the immune system. The problem is that the compilation of the menu always falls on the breeder, and it can be difficult to do it without practice. The following describes how and how to feed ducklings from the first days of life.
How to feed ducklings from the first day of life?
Depending on the age, the young need to be given certain foods. Some breeders from the first day of life "put" the bird on the feed, but it is not always beneficial from a financial point of view. But what could be the alternative? Feeding small ducklings without feed is not difficult. They eat a little, and all the necessary products are widely available.
The diet of feeding ducklings from the first day of life
- Daily ducklings are given boiled hard-boiled and chopped eggs without shell, along with chopped dill. Feeding should be done every 2 hours.
- From the second day you can start to give cottage cheese (up to 5 g per day per head) and barley chop steamed on water. Also continue to feed boiled eggs with dill.
- From the third offer, in addition to everything that was given before, rice porridge with milk. Only rice should be very shredded so that the ducklings do not choke on them. You can also give buttermilk, whey, milk. Eggs on this day are given for the last time, as this is too expensive and unprofitable food - it is needed only in the first days to support the strength of the young.
- From the 5th day of life, you can include a mixture of wheat, barley, corn grits (16 g per head per day). Mineral dressings are also introduced. You can begin to gradually feed the youngsters with grated vegetables (cabbage, carrots, pumpkin, boiled potatoes, beets), as well as chopped dandelions, alfalfa, and nettle. Feeding ducklings from the 5th day should be no more than 6 times a day.
- From the week of age, you can start making mash bags from sunflower meal, derti (crushed grain), greens (duckweed, hendew, rogolovnik). In such mash it is worth adding bone or fish meal (1 gram per head), fodder yeast in a small amount. Ducklings are fed now 4-5 times a day.
- From the second week of the ducklings released for walking. From now on, they will get their own green fodder, and in a duckling you only need to give dry (60-75 g per head per day) and wet in the form of vegetable mash (20-30 g per day for each individual). However, it is important to ensure that the birds have something to eat on the run. In terms of greens, they are choosy and eat it with less desire than geese, so if there is no greenery on the walking, they also continue to add it to the daily ration in the feeder. Feeding 3-4 meals a day.
- After 3 weeks, the ducklings already eat as adults. The last innovation in the diet - waste (fish and off the table), as well as soaked bread crusts, insects from the garden or purchased. Feeding is reduced to 2-3 times per day. On the day, they need about 150 g of cereals, mixed vegetables of 60-80 g of root crops, 12 g of sunflower oil cake, 5 g of meat and bone meal and 12 g of fish meal, 6 g of fodder yeast, 5 g of chalk and seashells, 1 salt.
In a brooder or poultry house where the young are kept, there should be a drinking bowl with fresh clean water. They change it 3-4 times a day, as the birds quickly pollute it, especially the younger ones.
Do we need feed for ducklings?Read also these articles.
- Feed for chickens
- White radish
- Wild bees
- The best early grapes
Compound feed - the best food for ducklings. In poultry farms only it is used for feeding birds, but it is very expensive, therefore it is unprofitable to use combined feed for domestic feeding of ducklings at home. If it is used, it is only in a mixture with other, homemade food, or simply make homemade feed.
Compound feed - the best food for ducklings
If there is a desire to feed ducklings from the first days of life with mixed feed, but buying is too expensive, you can make it yourself. For this you need to mix:
- 10 g chopped eggs;
- 13 g of wheat and corn dert;
- 2 g dry milk;
- 3 grams of fresh cottage cheese;
- 1 g of meat and bone meal;
- 1 g fish meal.
All indicators for 1 bird. Prepare this feed right before feeding the ducklings. The reason is that this mixture is very quickly sour, moldy and it can no longer be given. They feed them birds in such quantity that they all eat. The remains are immediately removed for the same reason that the feed is not prepared for future use.
Such a feed is suitable for young stock from 1 to 10 days. A little later, it is recommended to still purchase simple feed of the “Start” type, but not to give it clean, but diluted with crushed grain of wheat, barley and corn in proportions of 1: 3. This will significantly save money.
What is the use of domestic mash for ducklings?
In addition to the feed and grain ducklings for normal life requires wet mash. Feeding ducklings with them is carried out about 2 times a day. Usually this time falls in the morning and second lunch.
In addition to feed and grain, ducklings require wet masters for normal functioning.
Make them from different root vegetables and vegetables. Carrots, cabbage leaves, pumpkin, beets, turnips are taken fresh, rubbed on a fine grater, and potatoes, if given, are boiled and ground in mashed potatoes. Feed the mash immediately after cooking. It is impossible to do them for future use, as they are wet and very quickly sour, especially in the summer.
It is worth noting that feeding with mash beans is very important if the ducklings are fed for meat, as in such feed there is an abundance of nutrients that are very necessary for this bird.
What vitamins can be given to ducklings?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Canned Beans
- Pear vaccination
- Shire Horse
- Drip irrigation Beetle
For normal life and development, ducklings need vitamins. Of the usual foods rich in vitamins, you need to give fish meal, on which you can boil broth for mash, or simply add to feed. Meat and bone meal has no less benefit.
Vegetables for ducklings rich in vitamins
Vegetables are also rich in vitamins (carrots, pumpkin, sugar beets, rutabaga, potatoes). They are always given in petals, but the products must be fresh. It should be noted that feeding the ducklings at home with vegetables involves the grinding of the pulp, and not their skin or peeling. So how exactly in the pulp is everything that birds need.
A large role in the normal digestion of ducklings is chalk and crushed shell. They can be added to food from the 5th day of life, mixed into the feed. But, in addition, there should be a separate bowl or feeder in the bowl, where a shell and chalk will be poured in abundance. If the bird needs it, she will start eating them herself.
Consequences of poor feeding
Feeding ducklings at home is not a difficult science, but without practice there is no way to do it. Beginning breeders should at least once raise ducklings to understand what and in what quantity they need in this or that case. All tables and norms are always adjusted depending on the breed, the characteristics of the birds and the conditions of housing, so it’s difficult to give exact figures. There can not do without negative experience. The following are the consequences you may encounter if the power is wrong.
All tables and nutritional standards of ducklings are always adjusted.
- Newborn individuals up to 2 weeks react very strongly to any new foods in the diet and feed quality. Spoiled foods or some unusual ingredients can cause problems with the digestive tract, diarrhea, and then death. The problem is that the breeders feed all ducklings at once, which means that all livestock may die from simple food.
- From 3 weeks ducklings become the most vulnerable. Due to lack of food or nutrients, they may develop weakness in the legs.
- Also, with a lack of amino acids at 3 weeks of age, the growth of feathers will be disturbed, the birds will begin to pluck themselves, and the quality of the feather will be very low. This will lead to the fact that the grown-up ducklings will be with balding hair. They may be cold because of this, it will be difficult to swim, and they may not survive the winter without heating in the house.
- Lack of vitamins in the diet can lead to disruption of the development of organs and systems, as well as lead to slow growth.
By adhering to the below listed feeding rates for ducklings, it is possible to simplify the process of raising poultry, and to increase the percentage of survival of the young.
The water in the drinker should always be clean and fresh.
- Giving any new products or cereals should be gradually. Do not enter into the diet all the products at once - it can be very harmful. So new ingredients are given one at a time and look at the reaction. If the birds do not have diarrhea, constipation or any other problems after the new meal, you can continue to give them this product.
- Any food should be fresh, just like water. Otherwise, birds may begin to have diarrhea, and over time without treatment they will die.
- Feeding ducklings is only possible crumbly food throughout their lives. If the food is viscous, sticky or liquid it will be difficult to eat. So this point must be strictly controlled before each meal.
- Troughs for mash, dry food and water should be washed 1-3 times a day. Before each meal, they should at least be rinsed under a strong stream of water and boiled over.
- Any purchased vitamins can be given only after they are recommended or written out by a veterinarian. It is not necessary to buy vitamins blindly, without knowing all their side effects or actions, it is at least dangerous.