White wide-breasted turkeys occupy an honorable place among other known breeds. They have excellent meat, give a lot of eggs and are comparatively unpretentious. Turkey meat is dietary. It has a pleasant taste characteristics, tender, juicy. Details on the qualities and deficiencies of the species can be found below in the article.
What do white-breasted turkeys look like?
The appearance of white-breasted turkeys is remarkable. Individuals have an oval body, covered with thick plumage. Chest wide, not bulging. The legs are wide apart, of medium size and length, strong, dark pink in color. The head is small, the neck is of medium length, it is white or red. The eyes are small, often dark in color. The wings are well developed, pressed to the body.
Exterior of the breed White wide-breasted
Plumage, as is clear from the name of the species - white. Some individuals have a black feather spot on their chest.
Breed of turkeys White wide-breasted divided into three subspecies.
- Light sub-species can gain up to 10 kg of weight. In females, the indicator is lower - 6 kg.
- Average turkeys gain 13-18 kg of weight, females - 8 kg.
- Heavy type - massive turkeys. The mass of the male reaches 24 kg, females - 10 kg.
Characteristics of wide-breasted turkeyRead also these articles.
- Gloxinia flower
- Green grapes
- Cultivar variety Rodnichok F1
- What are the vitamins in cabbage
White wide-breasted turkeys have a number of distinctive qualities.
Carcass of an adult male White wide-breasted turkey
- The main feature is the rapid weight gain; they are considered to be adults and finally developed from the 100th day of life. The rapid growth allows you to do a good business selling turkey meat. At 2.5 months, individuals weigh within 5 kg. And in 6 months they are allowed for slaughter.
- Eggs begin to lay with 9 months of life. Individual eggs are carried for about 6 months, then there is a break. For the 6 months that a turkey rushes, you can get up to 120 eggs, 80 g each, from one individual. The shell has a brown color in a small speck.
- Fertilization of eggs occurs in 90% of cases, so all the eggs received from the turkey can be allowed for breeding. They are either placed under the turkey, or grown in an incubator.
- With quality content, you can get, and then sell from turkeys, not only meat and eggs, but also down, feathers for stuffing pillows and blankets. But if the content is bad, then the feathers will be in poor condition. They can not be sold.
Among the shortcomings it is worth mentioning only that this species has a wayward character. They are calm until they are touched, but birds of this species will not be able to get along with birds of other species or breeds.
How to care for a breed?
After buying wide-chested white turkeys many questions arise about their content. In fact, you need to prepare a place for the content in advance.
- For the content, you can build a turkey-hen or use the barn. The room should be clean, spacious (yet the birds are not small) - for 2 individuals there is, as a rule, 3 square meters. Ideally, the room is heated, but if there is no money, you can simply warm the building well. In the summer, the house should be about +22, and in the winter +5 degrees or more!
- There should be a lot of windows in the shed, it is very important to install artificial lighting. This is necessary both for convenience and for artificially extending the day in winter. If the bird's daylight in the winter is 14 hours, the white wide-breasted turkey breed begins to lay eggs.
- Nests are made in the darkest corner of the room. Females do not like to lay eggs or hatch them under the watchful eyes of other birds. You can place them by any method, but the principle of battery is often used.
- At a height of 0.5-0.8 m from the floor it is necessary to equip the feathered perches in the form of shelves or poles of durable, reliable material.
- The floor is made of wood and rises from the ground by 25 cm. For the winter, and for the summer too, it needs to be covered with litter (straw, sawdust). Only in winter should the litter be thicker than in summer, so that the birds do not have paws frozen.
- Cleaning of a turkey bore is carried out in process of pollution. Of course, the more often, the better, but it will be enough once a month. During the cleaning, the litter is changed, all accessories that a bird could smear are washed. You can replace the nest. Drinkers and feeders are cleaned daily to reduce the risk of infection of birds with bacteria, viruses and parasites.
- White wide-breasted turkeys need frequent walking. An open-air cage will be either free-range walking on the plot - it does not matter, the main abundance of space and grass. Especially for a turkey it is worth sowing clover and alfalfa in the area where they graze.
How to feed a white wide-chested turkey?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Potato cultivar Zekura
- Gloriosa Plant
- Cabbage variety Sugar Loaf
- Variety of cucumbers Phoenix
Useful plants in the diet of turkeys
Turkey feeders must be placed in a specific way. The boards must not be lower than the turkey breast, otherwise the entire food will be on the floor - the birds will scatter it. The very same capacity can be any. Many breeders use any available household containers, including basins, metal and plastic boxes, and wooden troughs. But if funds allow, you can purchase special feeders for turkeys.
High sides should also be at the water tank. Since turkeys often spill the contents and for a long time, until the breeder sees, they suffer from thirst.
Plants forbidden to feed turkeys
Adults are fed with grass and bran bread, as well as grain. You can buy a special food for turkeys, so as not to make cereal porridge on their own. They feed the birds 2 times a day, in the morning (grain) and in the evening (mash). During the day, they themselves finish their food on the run.
What is the specificity of breeding?
White wide-breasted turkeys have almost perfect maternal instinct. They really care about the future and the already emerging offspring. That is why the attention of the breeder in the period of incubation of eggs and the development of the young should be focused on the young mom.
Breeding White wide-breasted
- During the incubation of eggs, it is important from time to time to carry the female to the feeder and drinking bowl, since she herself will not get up for food from precious eggs.
- Turkey during incubation and after it, you need an abundance of vitamins. Therefore, food is made more fortified. To do this, you can buy any available vitamin and mineral supplements.
- Rest turkey is also important. It is necessary to monitor her health, well-being. In rare cases, a young mother with her offspring is deposited in a separate room in order to provide the birds and chicks with the most comfortable conditions for development.
At first, the chicks are fed with yolk, cottage cheese, sing with warm water or yogurt. From day 5, you can give grated grain, chopped grass. From the 7th week of life, the grain ceases to be ground, and from 9th week it is possible to transplant the turkey to the feed mixture from the store and start to let go for walking.