Muscovy duck is very different from their relatives. In the people it is also called indoutku or mute duck. The first name is associated with growths on its beak, and the second because it makes almost no loud sounds, but hisses more. The content of musk ducks is associated with some difficulties. You can read more about them below in the article.
What is the productivity of musk ducks?
Muscovy ducks are very beautiful. They are often kept as decorative. They have a slightly elongated body, a wide, “proud” chest, a medium-sized head with growths on its beak and small legs. A bird comes in all kinds of colors.
Muscovy duck with drake
The weight of a drake can reach up to 6 kg, and ducks up to 3.5 kg. To achieve the "commercial" mass, they feed about 2 months. They are recommended to score after 2-2.5 months.
Scampering starts from 6-7 months. During the year there are two periods of laying - spring and autumn. In sum, a hen can produce up to 110 eggs weighing 70 grams each, for both periods.
What are the features of care and maintenance?Read also these articles.
- The best meat breeds of ducks with a description and photo
- Varieties of cucumbers for the Urals
- Why do goslings die?
- Pavlovskaya breed of chickens
The homeland of musk ducks is America. They were bred for the sunny regions of the country, so most often they are bred in warm countries with stable climatic conditions.
Layout of the house and a nest for Indo-ducks
- To some extent, the lack of a type can be called the absence of a thick fatty layer. This is due to genetic features. Therefore, when keeping and breeding, it is important to closely monitor the temperature outside and in the house. A cold snap, frost can even lead to the death of these glorious birds.
- The house should be built carefully, a simple barn will not work here. In winter, birds should be kept in a heated and weatherproof room. It should not be drafts, cracks through which the cold will go.
Additionally, ventilation is arranged to prevent moisture. In the summer, the same building should be well ventilated, since the heat of the breed can not stand no less than the cold. To prevent the ducks' legs (their weak point) from being frozen, the floor is raised and a thick layer of bedding is laid out over the boards.
Features of the content of musk ducks
- The content of musk ducks at home in multi-tiered cells is possible, but it also reduces the productivity and taste of eggs and meat.
- In winter there should be additional lighting in the house. In warm or sunny days ducks can go out, despite the snow, but at other times they will be indoors. Lack of light will reduce their productivity and undermine health. For lighting take either the glow lamp, or day. The main thing is to place it higher so that the birds do not get it. And for the summer period there should be large windows in the room.
- Nests are made in the form of boxes or simply build benches, shelves (lattice), raised from the ground by 20 cm. To make the birds comfortable, the benches are not built next to the wall, but 30 cm away from it. You can make one such bench on the street in the aviary for walking.
- A pond or pond with musk ducks is not required. Unlike other species of ducks, this rarely swims. But walking should be spacious. Additional feeders are made in the aviary so that in summer the bird spends more time in the open air and be sure to put drinkers! It is also recommended to equip the shelter from rain, snow or sun. Inside, on the ground there should be herbs, perhaps some useful crops for them.
How to feed?
Feeding Feeding of Laying Ducks
When keeping musk ducks at home, they are pleasantly pleased with their diet. They eat very little, and most of the food, in the warmer months, is pasture. That is why it is recommended to plant for them some cultivated, useful plants.
In winter, birds are fed with vegetable beans (zucchini, cucumber, potatoes), grains, cereals, by-products and vitamins, which they acquire in advance in pet stores.
It is very important to provide individuals with free access to water. They do not like to swim, but they drink more than other species. Therefore, water tanks need to be replenished several times a day.
How to breed musk ducks?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Top dressing of bees in the spring
- Radish variety Sora
- Apple varieties for the Urals
- What to feed geese in winter and summer
Breeding is possible if there are 3-5 ducks per drake. For fertilization and laying musk ducks need a lot of light. If this summer is enough windows, if winter is to turn on artificial lighting for 16 hours. However, daylight is gradually increased, as drastic changes can cause an attack of cannibalism in individuals.
Musk duck breeding
The peculiarity of musk ducks is that they are very difficult to breed in an incubator. The fertilized egg has a hard shell. During the incubation, the duck turns it over and rubs against it. Over time, this leads to a decrease in the density of the shell - it begins to pass air and becomes thinner. By the time the baby is born, the shell is not dense, and it is easy to break.
It is difficult to carry out such procedures in an incubator. The shell will not become thinner from the effects of heat or turning. But musk ducks already incubate eggs well. True, they do not even think about the young, therefore it is better to take the newborn ducklings immediately under the lamp.
In order for the hen to sit on the eggs, there must be at least 10 of them in the nest. At the same time at the time of incubation, it completely ceases to be carried. Hatching lasts 35 days.
How to care for young?
Keep young musk ducks standing in a brooder with an infrared lamp. In the first week the light is not turned off at all. This allows chicks not to freeze and not worry. From the second week, you can start turning off the lights for an hour and gradually, with each week, the "night" is extended by an hour until the mode becomes natural. Sawdust is laid on the floor of the ducklings, and a few feeders and deep (full beak) drinkers are installed in the brooder.
Care for the young
At first, the chicks do not know how to eat, and only that which moves moves. To feed them, you need to cut a boiled egg, and crumble it on the backs of ducklings. Seeing the crumbs rolling down, they will grab them. And by 3 days they will learn to recognize food and eat it from the feeder. By this time they can already be given cottage cheese, porridge with milk, chopped greens and grain. From the 5th day, offal and meat waste are introduced. And after 10 days of life, you can also give boiled vegetables.
From 10th day chicks (if it is warm) can be released for walking, but not for long. And from two weeks males and females are better divided. From this period they are kept in the same way as adults.